4th Grade Curriculum (Updated on April 28, 2017)
Language Arts (Writing, Spelling, Grammar)
- Writing: Poetry
- Grammar: We do “Daily Paragraph Editing” to practice correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, and capitalization. Approximately twice a month, students will respond to a writing prompt based on that week’s theme. This enables the students to put skills they have learned that week into practice.
- Realistic fiction novel: Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
- Mrs. Gisler's Read-aloud novel: The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
- Reading Response Journals:
- Each week, your child will write a letter to me in his/her Reading Response Journal. This year, the journaling will happen on Google Docs. We are writing to each other about books that we are reading. Students proofread their letters before submission. (Is it in “Friendly Letter” format? Did you indent paragraphs? Does it have correct spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar?) I will write back to each student every week.
- Unit 8: Perimeter and Area
- XtraMath: Your child spends about 5 to 10 minutes each morning practicing math facts on xtramath.org. It is so important for students to know their basic facts with automaticity. Your child may also practice XtraMath at home on the weekends. Go to xtramath.org, click “Login,” enter MY email address: firstname.lastname@example.org, enter your child’s first name, and his/her pin number. Most students have this pin number memorized. If not, email me and I will send it to you.
Texas History (Social Studies):
- Unit 1: Life Science
- Chapter 4: The Human Body
- Time with God: God's people devote time daily to pray and to read the Bible.